Breast size can have a dramatic impact on your silhouette and shape as a woman. Genetics can determine the size and shape of your breasts, but you have the choice to change this feature on your body. Whether you always wanted larger or differently shaped breasts, or your breasts have lost volume over the years, breast augmentation surgery with breast implants can transform the breasts into the desired shape and size. Dr. Munique Maia is a breast augmentation and implant specialist who can create beautiful, natural-appearing breasts for you at our clinic in the Washington, DC, area.
Natural-Looking Breast Implant Surgery
Breast implant and augmentation surgery has come a long way from when it first began decades ago. The surgical techniques and quality of implants can create breasts that look and feel natural. Dr. Maia is a mammoplasty specialist who has performed many breast augmentation surgeries with spectacular results. Her advanced techniques can create the ideal breast appearance for each patient, with discreet incisions and a lower risk of complications.
Breast augmentation is one of the most common procedures performed by plastic surgeons. Breast implants can improve the size and shape of the breasts and is the ideal option for patients who desire breast enlargement. It is a common surgical technique utilized to enlarge natural breast size, correct volume deficiency after pregnancy and achieve balance and symmetry in patients with different breast sizes. It is also utilized as a reconstructive option following mastectomy for breast cancer. Patients who have stretched skin and sagging tissue can benefit from a breast lift (mastopexy), which can be performed in combination with breast augmentation.
What to Expect During Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
The first step to obtaining your new breasts is a detailed consultation with Dr. Maia at our clinic in Tysons Corner. During your consultation, Dr. Maia will discuss your goals and develop a tailored treatment plan for you. There are important topics to be discussed, and they are outlined below.
- Implant choice – There are three types of implants available in the market: saline, ideal implant and silicone. At Maia Plastic Surgery, you will have the opportunity to see samples of all types of breast implants. You will be able to feel the difference between them and choose the type that you prefer. There are risks associated with breast implant surgery. Dr. Maia will discuss the risks with you and determine if you are a candidate for this type of procedure.
- Implant size and shape – Deciding the size of your breast implant can be challenging. You will have the opportunity to “try on” different sizes of breast implants and choose the size that you desire. Vectra 3D simulation is very helpful to patients in the decision-making process. During your consultation, you will be able to experiment with different sizes until you find the one you want. Before and after pictures are helpful. However, most of the decision is based on your natural anatomy. Patients really appreciate seeing the simulations based on their preoperative pictures.
- Incision/scar location – Incisions can be placed in the areola (periareolar), along the breast crease (inframammary) or under the axilla/armpit (transaxillary). Dr. Maia will discuss with you the benefits of each incision option during your initial consultation.
- Recovery time – We advise patients to take one to two weeks off work. Be aware that healing is different for each person. Soreness and swelling may persist for weeks. The first few weeks after surgery are critical for healing. Most patients can resume light activities three weeks after surgery.
- Long term follow-up – Breast implants are not lifetime devices, and monitoring is required. There are risks and complications associated with breast implants and additional surgery might be required. Dr. Maia will discuss the risks during your consultation.
Breast augmentation with breast implants can create the body shape you desire. Dr. Maia and our medical team at Maia Plastic Surgery invite you to schedule a breast augmentation consultation at our clinic in Tysons Corner, VA, to discuss the options available for creating the desired shape and size for your breasts. Call today to schedule your appointment.
I had an amazing experience with Dr Maia! She performed a breast augmentation for me in September 2019 and I couldn’t be happier with the results. She was patient and answered my many questions and helped me find the best size to help me feel more confident while still looking natural. Everyone working in the office was so caring and I would definitely recommend her to anyone!